A few years ago I was looking for good quality wine and came across a website. I subscribed and a few days later the catalog arrived. It came in a small box with a little present in it. The catalog was made out of recycled paper and the present was a branch of one of their olive trees. It was a nice surprise but didn’t really had a place to plant it. The “fattoria” has a really nice concept. They’re a CO2 neutral company, create bio products and work with recycled materials.
Once I started looking in their catalog, I noticed that they have a lot of wines (red, white and sparkling). But also some pasta, olive oil, sauces and cookies. All made by them with materials they produce themselves. I couldn’t decide so I ordered a pack with 7 of their red wines (they’ve more than 7 red wines but…
上週末的一次聚會中，選擇了一支較特別的葡萄酒作慶祝，是來自意大利的 Super Tuscany。究竟為何叫做這個名稱呢？
話說舊世界的產葡萄酒國家都有一整套特定的條例，由葡萄品種到種植和造酒過程都有一定的規管，才能夠在酒標上用上某種特定的級數。如在意大利，就分 DOC (Denominazione di Origine Controllata) 或 DOCG (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita)。如果不獲得認定的，就只能歸入次一等的 IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica) 甚至不獲評級。
七十年代開始，有一班富冒險精神的釀酒師就偏偏要於意大利托斯卡納的土壤上栽種由外國引入的葡萄品種，例如 Cabernet Sauvignon。這些挑戰常規的酒，不可能被列入既有的評級中，但卻造得越來越出色，而且有價有市，所以除了被列入 IGT 等級外，也會被冠以 Super Tuscany 的外號，這並非任何官方等級，但在價格上反映了這些酒的江湖地位，因為一些被追捧的 Super Tuscany 分分鐘可以比法國的列級酒庄出品還要貴，有機會的話，記得要試吓。
I am writing You for giving You some suggestions for Your trip in Tuscany and Umbria.
Consider that the apartment is located in Castiglion Fibocchi, a little village (approx. 2.000 inhabitants) close to the city of Arezzo which You can reach by car in 15 minutes.
The location is very central in Tuscany and with the car You car easily reach the most beautiful part in Tuscany and also in Umbria.
For what concerns Tuscany, first of all I give You some advices for the places You can visit just around the apartment:
– Il Borro : at approx. 4-5 km from the apartment (10 minutes from the apartment by car); a medieval Tuscan village built with patience, hundreds of years ago, where every architectural detail was meticulously planned, has been restored to the likes of a renaissance painting where You can also visit a very beautiful vinery (http://www.ilborro.it/en/activities-sports-e-tours/visits-to-the-cellar);
– if You are interested in tasting wine, I can also recommend a beautiful vinery close to our apartment (just 1,5-2 km, 5 minutes by car) named “Tenuta La Pineta”, the owner is a friend of mine and if You take an apointment with him You can make a tour of the vinery, taste a very good wine and also olive oil and honey (http://www.tenutalapineta.it)
– Arezzo, my city, at approx. 12 km (15 minutes by car) where You can visit the city centre: Piazza Grande (the most beautiful square of the city), the Cathedral, the beautiful Pieve (Romanesque church) and the Church of San Francesco with the frescoes of Piero della Francesca. On the road from Castiglion Fibocchi to Arezzo You can also visit “Ponte Buriano” a romanic bridge which according to the latest studies seems to have inspired Leonardo da Vinci in the painting “La Gioconda”.
– Cortona at approx. 40 km (50 minutes by car) a very beautiful Etruscan village: You can visit his Etruscan walls, ancient churches and museum. Close to Cortona we recommend to visit the Etruscan tumulus tombs , the most antique form of buria and also Lake Trasimeno.
Then if You go a little bit far:
– Florence (approx. 80 km from the apartment …. 1 hour by car): surely one of the must in Tuscany really beautiful and with a lot o place to visit such as the Cathedral, Ponte Vecchio, Palazzo Vecchio and the museum of Uffizi (http://www.firenzeturismo.it/);
– Siena (approx. 60 km .. 1 hour by car): really very beautiful with is Cathedral and with Piazza del Campo the most beautiful square where every year (twice per year) takes place the “Palio” a famous horse race.
– All the Chianti Area, the countryside around Siena, where it is really beautifull also going around with the car and where You can visit beautiful place such as Radda in Chianti, Greve in Chianti,