So Sunday me and my roommate went to two of the coolest places in Siena. Everyone else had already seen these amazing places because they are all in the Sienese art and Architecture class, and I’m not. I didn’t want to leave without going in these places so my roommate Elly graciously accompanied me there 🙂
So a “duomo” is technically any church with a dome. The Siena Duomo is magnificent both inside and out. It was built in the Middle Ages when Siena was at its financial and political height. While constructing the nave the Black Plague ravaged the city and it was never finished. The Duomo was intended to be the biggest church in Europe, sadly the dream never came true.
While I was in the Duomo, I lit a candle and I really liked the plaque above the offering:
The trip from Florence meant a long walk to the station, on the day that the temperatures started to climb. It was a two hour bus ride that landed us in Siena, having to search for our accommodation again. Eleanor took on responsibility of navigation this time, and must of done a wonderful job, as we found the place fairly quickly. After goading riding ourselves of our backpacks, we set out looking for lunch – still trusting the handy owl stickers, and enjoyed a delicious meal. Once our stomachs were no longer rumbling, we headed to the main square and bought a ticket to climb the town tower, in order to see the spectacular view of the city from above. We had been told while in Siena there where three must sees – the tower, the fort and the basilica, so we…
I am writing You for giving You some suggestions for Your trip in Tuscany and Umbria.
Consider that the apartment is located in Castiglion Fibocchi, a little village (approx. 2.000 inhabitants) close to the city of Arezzo which You can reach by car in 15 minutes.
The location is very central in Tuscany and with the car You car easily reach the most beautiful part in Tuscany and also in Umbria.
For what concerns Tuscany, first of all I give You some advices for the places You can visit just around the apartment:
– Il Borro : at approx. 4-5 km from the apartment (10 minutes from the apartment by car); a medieval Tuscan village built with patience, hundreds of years ago, where every architectural detail was meticulously planned, has been restored to the likes of a renaissance painting where You can also visit a very beautiful vinery (http://www.ilborro.it/en/activities-sports-e-tours/visits-to-the-cellar);
– if You are interested in tasting wine, I can also recommend a beautiful vinery close to our apartment (just 1,5-2 km, 5 minutes by car) named “Tenuta La Pineta”, the owner is a friend of mine and if You take an apointment with him You can make a tour of the vinery, taste a very good wine and also olive oil and honey (http://www.tenutalapineta.it)
– Arezzo, my city, at approx. 12 km (15 minutes by car) where You can visit the city centre: Piazza Grande (the most beautiful square of the city), the Cathedral, the beautiful Pieve (Romanesque church) and the Church of San Francesco with the frescoes of Piero della Francesca. On the road from Castiglion Fibocchi to Arezzo You can also visit “Ponte Buriano” a romanic bridge which according to the latest studies seems to have inspired Leonardo da Vinci in the painting “La Gioconda”.
– Cortona at approx. 40 km (50 minutes by car) a very beautiful Etruscan village: You can visit his Etruscan walls, ancient churches and museum. Close to Cortona we recommend to visit the Etruscan tumulus tombs , the most antique form of buria and also Lake Trasimeno.
Then if You go a little bit far:
– Florence (approx. 80 km from the apartment …. 1 hour by car): surely one of the must in Tuscany really beautiful and with a lot o place to visit such as the Cathedral, Ponte Vecchio, Palazzo Vecchio and the museum of Uffizi (http://www.firenzeturismo.it/);
– Siena (approx. 60 km .. 1 hour by car): really very beautiful with is Cathedral and with Piazza del Campo the most beautiful square where every year (twice per year) takes place the “Palio” a famous horse race.
– All the Chianti Area, the countryside around Siena, where it is really beautifull also going around with the car and where You can visit beautiful place such as Radda in Chianti, Greve in Chianti,